Saturday, December 5, 2009

December 5: Best Night Out

So glad my friends here like to salsa. I spent more than a few nights at a great little salsa club in Santiago, Chile and love it, so I usually go when I have the chance. But this particular night was feeling really low-key, I didn't want to pay the $10 cover and it kept getting later and later. But my roommate Erica really wanted to go, even though it was past 10, so I reluctantly put on my heels and away we went to Mambo Lounge.

Back story: the last time we went to Mambo Lounge - which I love - I danced with a shorter, cologne-happy guy who tried all kinds of crazy moves with me. He was a very good dancer; I was not. I'm not bad, but I was not at his level, and at one point, he had me sitting on his bent legs and tipped back almost entirely upside down. Mambo Lounge is a big open room, and usually there is a crowd of people watching everyone. But I was more worried about falling on my head, flashing everyone or kicking someone else than looking like I knew what I was doing - it wasn't pretty. I had words with him when the song was over.

When we arrived on this particular Saturday night, I danced with a few different guys, and then I saw him. The crazy-dip guy. Actually, I smelled him first. When he asked me to dance, I said, "Hey, I know you!" And he started laughing and said, "Oh yeah, I remember you!"

Uh-oh.

This time, I was very clear with him about not doing the dip (or any other "So You Think You Can Dance" moves), and to his credit, he completely respected my wishes. He actually made me feel like a good dancer. So good that I forgot what time it was and my friends had to drag me home. It was an unexpectedly great night.

Runner-up: NW PDX Progressive Dinner - Todd's, the Price's (impromptu dance party!), our house, and Amber's for a splash of champagne. So. Much. Fun.

No comments: