Friday, December 21, 2007

familia

I thought a lot about families today. Here in Santiago, I have a "family" of sorts - for the most part, it's the other volunteers. But I also met a Chilean family on Sunday that I'll be hanging out with once a month to learn about Chilean culture and to experience life as part of a Chilean family. Marta and Luis are great - they have four kids, all teenagers or older. Our first meeting was a little awkward as they speak very fast Spanish, and I still don't understand much. She was babysitting a friend's 3 year old, and I mistakenly asked, first, if he was her son (she laughed), and then if she was a grandma (she laughed again). :)

Today was a good day at the baby house. Actually, this whole week has been pretty interesting. I've been driving around (not with any babies yet, because I still have to get my international driver's license), and it's been really good. I still have to practice on a hill somewhere, and figure out the handbrake trick, but other than that, I'm pretty comfortable with the stick shift. If anyone wants to buy a 99 Jetta when I get home, let me know...

So back to today - this morning I could tell something was going on. It turned out that two of the kids went to live with adoptive parents today. I know people that have been adopted, I know people that have adopted kids, but to be there, and to see it happen was so beautiful. I'm not sure how else to describe it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Hope you're all doing well - and getting ready to celebrate a great Christmas!

No comments: