Wednesday, December 5, 2007

days like this

We met with a director from Harvard today who runs a Latin studies institution here in Santiago, and talked about the Chilean education system, the political structure, gender issues - I guess you could say it was a crash course in Chilean sociology? Then we went to the park and learned Chilean slang for lame and whatever (fome y filo)... Tomorrow we visit an institution and have a party tomorrow night celebrating VE's fourth year.

There are times during the day that I'm a little lost or frustrated with the language, but I could not be more excited about being here. I walked to the grocery store this morning, just feeling thankful - for the opportunity to be here, for the beautiful weather, for whatever it was in my life that motivated me to come here, for the people who are supporting this, both here in Santiago and back home. The last few years have been better preparation than I realized...

2 comments:

Khrysta said...

watched a travel channel show on Santiago yesterday. Thinking of you the whole time. Wonderful that you will work with babies! You'll learn stickshift in no time. Great reading your blog.

baorao said...

Good to hear things are going well. The weather here sucks.