Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Babies and learning to drive

So I found out yesterday that I'll be working with babies for the next few months - kids from a few days to two years old. The home is called Hogar Esperanza: Casa de Lactantes, and the goal is for each baby to be adopted. So excited - but here's the catch: part of the job involves driving the kids to preschool or to doctor's appointments. In a car with a manual transmission.

I don't know how to drive stick just yet (I've practiced a couple of times, stalling in McDonald's drive-thru, of course) - Christy, a current volunteer will teach me - but this is going to be interesting. I'm the girl you see on the road, talking on the phone, drinking coffee, putting on chapstick, reaching in the backseat for a CD, driving with her left foot up on the seat, because she clearly does not have to shift (or has no fear of accidents??). SO not happening in Santiago...

No comments: