Thursday, July 16, 2009

thursday...

And I'm in the backyard, enjoying a fantastic summer night.









I'm exhausted - last week I got in from Nicaragua at 2 AM on Tuesday night. Fortunately, I have amazing roommates and one of them got out of bed to pick me up from the airport. Seriously - I owe that girl. I didn't feel great last weekend (I think it was the pupusas) and this week has been midnight to bed every night. I'm on my way to a little concert in a few, and will try to be in bed before 11. We'll see how that goes...

I went to Spanish conversation group last night, which I love. I get to practice listening, speaking and we have pretty interesting conversation. Last night, we discussed the coup in Honduras - if you think it's difficult to discuss in English, try Spanish. But I loved hearing the different perspectives. I'm not sure yet if I totally oppose it - but would love to hear your thoughts...

My next trip is to Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo from August 28 through Labor Day. I cannot wait. I'm planning on a real beach (yeah, that's what I said), pool time, a little humidity and some serious family time. And I'm thinking about a little jaunt to SoCal this fall. We will see.

A few extras: Just bought and read A Praying Life by Paul Miller - excellent book, I recommend it. Also just bought (and I mean like 4 minutes ago) Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus album from iTunes. Another good find. Recently read Relentless Pursuit - about life with Teach for America. I think I'm ready for some fiction. Suggestions?

1 comment:

juliebelle said...

Fiction recommendations...

I'm really into Saligner right now. I guess I am always into Salinger. I'm finishing Franny and Zooey at the moment, but I especially loved Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters, and Seymour: An Introduction. I wouldn't recommend it to most people because Salinger takes his license to ramble and goes crazy with it, especially in the second half--but I'd expect that you have the right sense of humor to appreciate it when he does. That's most of the reason why I love his writing so much in the first place. That, and the fictional family the three stories are based on are extremely reminiscent of The Royal Tenenbaums (well, vice versa.) I never actually confirmed if there is a real connection, but I just googled it and it turns out a lot of people feel this way.
Anyway, I'm the one rambling now, and I guess you may have already read these books...ha.
Otherwise, non-fictional story: We Are All The Same. Great book.

Oh, and yes to the SoCal visit.