Sunday, November 30, 2008

books books books

I love to read. And I love books. My first job was as a library aide at Oshtemo Public Library - I helped people check out books, look for books and mostly shelved books. At my last job, I worked with a publisher and got to see how books went from manuscripts to hardcover to softcover. *sigh* I love books. So I have some recommendations:

The Road of Lost Innocence: I picked up this book at my friend's house this weekend and read it one day. It's the story of a girl who was sold into the sex trade in Cambodia and how she has become the head of an organization that fights for the rights of the girls that are abused. It's tragic and moving, and makes me wonder where such violent hatred toward women in that part of the world comes from.

Bel Canto: I kept seeing the name of this book, and knew that it took place in South America - so I wanted to read it. It's beautiful - the story of a dinner party held hostage and what happens with the captives from around the world, including a world-renowned opera singer, and their captors. I recommend listening to Chopin while you read this.

Currently reading: Quo Vadis, The Time Traveler's Wife, and waiting on Whatever it Takes from the library. Send me your recommendations!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you worked at the Oshtemo library! I checked out many a book from that place.

My recommendation is Son of Laughter, by Fred Buechner - it's a retelling of the story of Jacob. It's just really good.

Julie said...

Have you read Eat Pray Love? I'm not usually one for Oprah's book list, but this book was fantastic. :)

Currently reading Franney and Zooey, in case you haven't, you should.

Also, The Chosen by Chaim Potok.

kathy said...

Thanks for the suggestions! Just read The Red Tent - a "fictional" retelling of Dinah's story (Jacob's only daughter). I love Fred Buechner, so I will definitely pick that up.

And yes, I have read Eat Pray Love, and loved it. I was in yoga the other day, thinking of Portland as my "Pray" part of the journey. Bali is next!